Levy Lakeside School
We hope you all have had a wonderful summer! Our teachers and staff are well rested, rejuvenated
and are excited and ready for the 2021-2022 school year! Although this year will still look and feel
slightly different than in previous years, we are committed to creating a welcoming, exciting and safe
learning environment for all students! The health and safety of all members of the Lakeside
community will be on the forefront of every conversation, interaction and decision we engage in this
year. With administrative support, our teachers will create warm, welcoming, and supportive
environments to encourage a positive experience for all 600 students.
We strongly believe schools are responsible to support the academic, social and emotional needs of
all students. It is our commitment to educate our students with these goals in mind. In addition to
meeting their educational and SEL goals, the health and safety of our students continues to be a
priority for us. We have developed thorough and thoughtful protocols and procedures to lessen
exposure and risk of illness to everyone. Staff and students will be taught to follow these protocols
and procedures and supported if challenges arise.
Ensuring safe schools is a community effort. The measures we will be taking inside our school
buildings to mitigate risk include following social distancing guidelines, the use of face
coverings, limited sharing of supplies, and adhering to medical guidance if symptoms occur. These
measures will only be as successful as they are supported in the home and community. We ask that
families help to keep our schools as safe as possible by:
- teaching children the importance of good hand hygiene and cough etiquette
- practicing safety measures regularly to build and increase tolerance toward them
- serving as role models when outside of school
- establishing community standards so our efforts are successful
- preparing students with individual supplies
- adhering to medical guidance
Please consider the following items as you prepare for school:
- Anyone who has symptoms of illness must remain home. Please refrain from over-thecounter
fever reducers this year. When in doubt...keep home!
- All students and staff members will be required to wear masks indoors regardless of
- Use of masks outdoors are optional for students and staff.
- Mask breaks will take place regularly throughout the day. Students may advocate for
additional mask breaks as needed.
- Students will be seated at least 3 feet away from other students in their classroom.
- Barriers have been removed from classroom desks. They may still be used on a limited basis
in small group settings.
- All specials, such as art, music, technology, FLES, and library will take place in the special
area classrooms. PE will continue to take place in the gym or outdoors, weather permitting.
- Lunch and recess will take place on a 45-minute schedule. Students will be socially distanced
in accordance with NYS guidelines while eating. Students will be permitted to play with
students from other classes while outdoors.
- Enhanced cleaning protocols will continue to take place throughout the school day.
- Our arrival and dismissal procedures are outlined in a separate document that has been
emailed to you. Plan for extra time in the beginning of the year.
- Send LUNCH and SNACK in accordance with the allergy policy every day. PTA Lunch will
begin on Thursday, September 9th for those that ordered through Boonli and Student
Council lunch will begin on Monday, September 20th.
- Send extra face coverings and mask storage.
- Students should come with a refillable water bottle every day.
- We will not be having visitors in the school building for the start of the school year. We will
be holding a virtual Open House in September for you to meet your child’s teachers.
Although the school building will function a little differently, the heart and soul of Lakeside will
remain the same. Behind the masks, we will all be smiling, ready to welcome new friends, ready to
try our best, ready to overcome the challenges that we may face. We have always been a kind and
caring community of learners. This will never change. All of the teachers and staff members will be
ready to greet you with open hearts filled with positivity and love. Get ready to have a fabulous year
We look forward to having our community back together for a wonderful and safe start of the
year. See you on September 1st!
All the best,